The London Research Institute research groups are based at Lincoln’s Inn Fields and Clare Hall. Our major research themes are: the biology of tumours and tissues, cellular regulatory mechanisms and genomic integrity and cell cycle.
Denise Sheer : Human Cytogenetics
The purpose of the Human Cytogenetics Laboratory was to study genome biology and cancer genetics. A major objective of their research was to understand the structural and functional organisation of the human genome and the nucleus. While the first level of packaging, the nucleosomal fibre, is well characterised, little is known about higher order chromatin structure or chromosome territories.
Identification of chromosome abnormalities and point mutations in cancer cells is a vital step towards understanding the pathways leading to malignant transformation, and can also play a role in tumour diagnosis and assessment of prognosis.
Denise left the LRI to become a Professor of Human Genetics, at the Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Queen Mary University London.
Significant LRI Papers
- Williams RRE, Broad S, Sheer D, Ragoussis J. Sub-chromosomal positioning of the epidermal differentiation complex (EDC) in keratinocyte and lymphoblast interphase nuclei. Experimental Cell Research. 2002;272:163-175 (Abstract)
- Donev R, Horton R, Beck S, Doneva T, Vatcheva R, Bowen WR, Sheer D. Recruitment of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein A1 in vivo to the LMP/TAP region of the Major Histocompatibility Complex. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2003;278(7):5214-26 (Abstract)
- Wang J, Shiels C, Sasieni P, Wu PJ, Islam SA, Freemont PS, Sheer D. Promyelocytic leukemia nuclear bodies associate with transcriptionally active genomic regions. Journal of Cell Biology. 2004;164(4):515-526 (Abstract)
- Mulholland PJ, Fiegler H, Mazzanti C, Gorman P, Sasieni P, Adams J, Jones TA, Babbage JW, Vatcheva R, Ichimura K, East P, Poullikas C, Collins VP, Carter NP, Tomlinson IPM, Sheer D. Genomic profiling identifies discrete deletions associated with translocations in glioblastoma multiforme. Cell Cycle. 2006;5(7):783-791 (Abstract)
- Donev R, Newall A, Thome J, Sheer D. A role for Sc35 and hnRNPA1 in the determination of Amyloid Precursor Protein isoforms. Molecular Psychiatry. 2007;12(7):681-690 (Abstract)