The London Research Institute research groups are based at Lincoln’s Inn Fields and Clare Hall. Our major research themes are: the biology of tumours and tissues, cellular regulatory mechanisms and genomic integrity and cell cycle.
David Shima : Endothelial Cell Biology
The Endothelial Cell Biology Laboratory’s main aim was to understand how changes in vascular cell behaviour, elicited by intercellular signalling molecules, result in the creation and proper function of the vasculature.
The vascular network is a complex closed circuit, consisting of numerous interconnected conduits, or blood vessels, that extend throughout the body for the delivery and exchange of blood-borne substances. Blood vessels are comprised of two main cellular components. The endothelium is a continuous, cylindrical epithelial sheet that creates the vessel lumen. A basal lamina separates the endothelium from the second component of vessels, the mural cells (e.g. smooth muscle cells).
Significant LRI Papers
- Jokitalo E, Cabrera-Poch N, Warren G, Shima DT. Golgi clusters and vesicles mediate mitotic inheritance independently of the endoplasmic reticulum. Journal of Cell Biology 2001;154:3 IT-330 (Abstract)
- Muller JMM, Rabouille C, Newman R, Shorter J, Freemont P, Schiavo G, Warren G, Shima DT. An NSF function distinct from ATPase-dependent SNARE disassembly is essential for Golgi membrane fusion. Nature Cell Biology 1999;1:335-340 (Abstract)
- Carmeliet P, Ng YS, Nuyens D, Theilmeier G, Brusselmans K, Cornelissen I, Ehler E, Kakkar VV, Stalmans I, Mattot V, Perriard JC, Dewerchin M, Flameng W, Nagy A, Lupu F, Moons L, Collen D, DAmore PA, Shima DT. Impaired myocardial angiogenesis and ischemic cardiomyopathy in mice lacking the vascular endothelial growth facto isoforms VEGF164 and VEGF188. Nature Medicine. 1999;5:495-502 (Abstract)
- Shirogane T, Fukada T, Muller JMM, Shima DT, Hibi M, Hirano T. Synergistic roles for Pim-1 and c-Myc in STAT3-mediated cell cycle progression and antiapoptosis. Immunity. 1999;11:709-719 (Abstract)
- Ng T, Shima D, Squire A, Bastiaens PIH, Gschmeissner S, Humphries MJ, Parker PJ. PKCa reulates |3l integrin-dependent cell motility through association and control of integrin traffic. EMBO Journal. 1999;18:3909-3923 (Abstract)